Thursday 9 January 2020

Generic Welcome Title!


All in a day's work.
I'm setting this up because my hobby - game development and generally screwing around with game developmentey stuff - involves a lot of work but rarely gives me an outlet to show people the work I'm doing, as many of my projects don't become a marketable product. But I often come up with some neat stuff so I figured I'd share it here. Maybe it'll help someone. Or maybe my crappy code will give someone a laugh.
I currently have a few projects on my table; I'll go into detail on them as I work on them. Currently, my newest project is a recreation/update to an old PC game I used to love as a kid: The 1994 shooter-driving sim Quarantine. Set in a dystopian prison city, you drive a weapon-encrusted hovercab to survive and find a way to freedom - kind of like Grand Theft Auto meets Escape from New York. I had largely forgotten how great - if flawed - this game was until I saw a review for it on Ross's Game Dungeon, a YouTube series I can't recommend highly enough. The game hasn't necessarily aged well, but the concept and visual style gives the game a lot of charm.
Some of the things you'll probably see me blunder around with in this project are:
  • Physics-based hover controls.
  • Shader design that will BLOW YOUR MIND.
  • Context-based ground detection. 
  • Designing a "point buy" item system I haven't personally seen before (stay tuned!)
  • AI pathfinding for traffic.
  • Unity's Entity Component System.
  • Dynamic pedestrian behaviour.
  • Probably some bewildered crying and/or panicking. I might not post much of that but rest assured that it's happening.
So, if you like post apocalyptic driver/shooters, game development, or mediocre blogs in general, this may be right up your alley!
I also like to read! So, I may finish some of my posts with a segment I like to call

What Am I Reading Now?

Currently, it's Navigators of Dune, by Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson, which is the latest book in the Dune expanded universe. I'm obsessed with Frank Herbert's original Dune series, and I'm committed to reading basically everything Dune adjacent. I reread the series over the summer, and get something new from it each time. Unfortunately, the expanded books lack the depth and artistry of those originals in my opinion. I'll be glad when I'm done, as this is the last one for the time being.

No comments:

Post a Comment